Wednesday, April 16, 2008



IT'S HERE!

About two years ago, a former publishing colleague invited me to contribute an essay to an anthology of writing about gardens she was compiling. She had been reading this very blog and wanted to include me as one of the new voices she was choosing to accompany well known essayists and gardeners such as Vita Sackville-West, Michael Pollan, Diane Ackerman, and Susan Orlean, among others. I was honored by her request and agreed to participate.

The book's schedule was delayed a time or two, and periodically I would forget I'd even written the essay. Spring 2008 eventually became the targeted release date, and today--a breezy spring day--as I pedalled home from work and up my driveway, I spied it. The box with my author copies.

The book, entitled The Gardener's Bedside Reader, is gorgeous. More gorgeous than I could have imagined, filled with crisp, clear photographs, colorful period illustrations and advertisements, images from old seed catalogues, historic hand-colored photographs, Redoute illustrations, and delightful knock-outs throughout. My essay is called "Ashes to Ashes," and it's about, well, about some truths my mother--and my garden--taught me about life and death. Go to amazon.com for details, and if you buy the book, turn to page 241. That's me!

2 comments:

Martha said...

Hey! Congrats. Can't wait to read your essay :)

Fresca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.