Monday, June 30, 2008

ON THE ROAD--I
(Friday)



These are my father's hands. I drove to Wisconsin to visit him this weekend.


On the way, I stopped at the roadside Carr Valley cheese shop. They have great baby Swisses and aged cheddars. The cheese mouse (above) looks out over the access road that leads from the interstate straight to the shop.



Lavender spiderwort carpeted the median and the shoulder of the interstate the entire trip--all 275 miles of it.


Traffic is steady all the way. The interstate at Portage (above) was flooded the weekend of my birthday, which is why I had to postpone the visit to my father's house until this weekend. The area smells bad now, and fields in low-lying areas are still swamped. They look like lakes.


When I arrived, my father and I went out for Friday night fish fry--a Wisconsin institution--at the popular Avenue Bar. We each had deep-fried cod, cottage fries, cole slaw, and pint-sized beers. After dinner, we played 20 Questions and stumped each other with "maps" and "digital television converter box." We go to bed looking forward to Saturday.

2 comments:

Fresca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ddip said...

Yes, you inspired me with your
35W bridge blog last year. Sometimes documenting the things that are right in front of us are very, very interesting and reveal things we might have missed otherwise. Like the Cheese Mouse!