Friday, January 23, 2009


WHAT A WEEK!
SJG and I haven't cooked much since my last post, and here's why:

Barack Obama was inaugurated on Tuesday January 20 as our forty-fourth president, the first African American to serve as the nation's leader. We've been glued to the television and the radio for several days, and I think I've finally, happily reached my saturation point.

I loved the inauguration, its pageantry, its awareness of sacred duty, the fun of the closing prayer, Aretha's hat and oh that voice, and dare I say it, the patriotism of the whole affair. Along with many, many Americans, I wept, as much for the historicity of the event as for the hope it has engendered. It's such a brave thing, hope. And I know I haven't felt much of it these last eight years.

And then Buddy had knee surgery last week. He's recuperating well and his mood is good, but imagine the effort involved in restraining a dog from running, jumping, playing, and walking. And we still have five more weeks of it! But by then, spring will be in the air and it won't be long before the daffodils on our table will be from my very own garden, not from a greenhouse.

No comments: